stock phrase about women?

Richard MAHONEY rbm49 at EXT.CANTERBURY.AC.NZ
Tue Mar 9 07:34:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:36:12PM -0800, Jonathan Silk wrote:

> Has anyone seen (other than in the story of Utpalavarna in the
> Mulasarvastivada Vinaya) a phrase, purported to be canonical ("The
> Blessed One said:"):
>
> Women bind men in eight ways: by dance, song, music, laughter,
> crying, appearance, touch [and here's the troublesome one] questions
> (?).
>
> The last item in Tibetan (all we have here) is rma 'byed pa, which
> might mean to ask a question, but more commonly, to wound.
>
> Any references much appreciated (and  apologies for cross-listing to
> H-Buddhism and Indology)--JAS

For what it's worth, a quick check of the Mahaavyutpatti and
Yogaacaarabhuumi word lists threw up the following:

rma:

  vraNa (Mvy 9486 & Yoga)

'byed pa:

  bheda, vicaya & vi-/bhaj:vibhajati (Yoga)

Best regards,

 Richard Mahoney

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: homepages.comnet.net.nz/~r-mahoney
Littledene      | telephone / telefax (man.): ++64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | e-mail: r.mahoney at comnet.net.nz