stock phrase about women?

Roland Steiner steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE
Tue Mar 9 11:41:53 UTC 2004

Dear Jonathan,

I remember a loose parallel in Bhart.rhari's "Satakatraya (unfortunately, I do not have Kosambi's
edition at hand; I could check it tomorrow):

smitena bhaavena ca lajjayaa bhiyaa
paraa"nmukhair ardhaka.taak.saviik.sa.naih /
vacobhir iir.syaakalahena liilayaa
samastabhaavai.h khalu bandhana.m striyaa.h //

[In bad English:]
"Women bind by combined manners: (1) smiling, (2) emotion, (3) bashfulness, (4) fear, (5) averted,
half and side-looks, (6) words, (7) jealous quarrel, and (8) charm."

"dance, song, music" in your quotation reminds one of the well-known formula nacca-giita-vaadita
(e.g., Diighanikaaya I 6,11f.), or, in Ardhamaagadhii na.t.ta-giiya-vaaiya (Aupapaatikasuutra, ed.
Leumann, p. 77, § 107); the first three of the 64 arts, which are enumerated in the 3rd chapter of
the Kaamasuutra, are giitam, vaadyam, n.rtyam.

Best regards,
Roland