stock phrase about women?

Martin Delhey mdelhey at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 9 21:51:19 UTC 2004

--- Jonathan Silk <silk at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU> wrote:
> Has anyone seen (other than in the story of
> Utpalavarna in the
> Mulasarvastivada Vinaya) a phrase, purported to be
> canonical ("The
> Blessed One said:"):
>
> Women bind men in eight ways: by dance, song, music,
> laughter,
> crying, appearance, touch [and here's the
> troublesome one] questions
> (?).
>
> The last item in Tibetan (all we have here) is rma
> 'byed pa, which
> might mean to ask a question, but more commonly, to
> wound.

Dear Jonathan,

luckily this canonical passage is cited in the
Sanskrit text of the samAhitA bhUmiH (belonging to the
yogAcArabhUmiH), which I have, as you know, edited in
my Ph.D. thesis (unfortunately, my dissertation has
not been published yet).

The passage runs as follows:
... aSTAbhiH sthAnaiH strI puruSaM badhnAti, tadyathA
nRttena, gItena, hasitena , prekSitena, varNena,
sparzena, Akalpena, vraNabhaGgena  ca.

The Tibetan translation of the samAhitA bhUmiH has rma
'byed pa, too. Quite obviously the Tibetan translators
have tried to find a literal translation of the
enigmatic vraNabhaGga.
I was not able to solve the problem what the exact
meaning of vraNabhaGga is. The corresponding passage
in the Pali canon has vanabhaGga, for which, to the
best of my knowledge, also no wholly convincing
translation has been offered.
I have collected some more materials, but they are
rather difficult to interpret, either.
I would like to suggest that we discuss further
details of this problem off-list.
However, if anyone has found evidence which gives a
good hint what vraNabhaGga means in this context I
would be very grateful for a message.

Best wishes,
Martin Delhey