BhG bhasya 2ndary sources

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Tue Jul 20 19:22:19 UTC 2004

>Could anyone recommend a good article-length study of the commentaries of
>Sankara and Ramanuja on the Bhagavadgita?  I�m looking for a source that
would
>be appropriate to give to an class of advanced undergraduates, without
>presuming any knowledge of Sanskrit, thus nothing philological as such,
rather
>a piece of intellectual history.

I would be very interested in this as well, so I hope any responses will be
made on-list. The respective chapters of Arvind Sharma's 'The Hindu Gita',
which I personally enjoyed very much, are probably both too long and too
technical for your purposes.

Although not exactly what you asked for, Patricia Mumme has an excellent
essay (this would probably be about the right length, but it is not
primarily about Sankara and Ramanuja, although they form the background)
called 'Haunted by Sankara's Ghost' in 'Texts in Context' (Timm, 1991),
illustrating the intimate connection between metaphysical models and
interpretative strategies.

Martin Gansten