BhG bhasya 2ndary sources

Shyam Ranganathan srangan at YORKU.CA
Tue Jul 20 20:03:04 UTC 2004

Dear Friends

I would recommend the following article:

Mumme, Patricia Y., “Haunted by Sankara’s Ghost; The Srivaisnava Interpretation
of Bhagavad Gita 18:66,” in *Texts in Context* J.R. Timm Ed.,  (SUNY 1992) 69-
85.

While this article does not compare Sankara's and Ramanuja's reading of the
Bhagavad Gita on all points, it does zero in on what seems to me to be the most
important aspect: the moral implications. Sankara famously argues in his
commentary on the Gita that even dharma can be an obstacle to moksa to the
serious aspirant. And Gita 18:66 appears to confirm this (even though Krishna
through out the whole book cannot stop emphasizing the importance of one's own
dharma). Ramanuja famously resists this reading, and gives two ways of reading
18:66 so as to avoid Sankara's gloss.

It seems to me that this one issue is pivotal, for it reveals the vital
difference between philosophical outlooks between the two thinkers. Sankara's
anti realism is highlighted by his willingness to abandon dharma, while
Ramanuja's staunch realism comes out in his refusal to treat dharma as
something mutable. Naturally, the issue also touches on Sankara's and
Ramanuja's conception of Brahman. For Sankara, Brahman is above most
distinctions and qualities, while for Ramanuja, Brahman is the embodiment of
moral and aesthetic perfections.  Thus, dharma cannot be absent in moksa for
Ramanuja, though it is not to be found in Sankara’s Nirguna Brahman.

The article also highlights how the Southern school of Sri Vaisnavism appears
to backtrack on Ramanuja’s argumentative gains.

Best
Shyam

Shyam Ranganathan
Department of Philosophy, York University, Toronto (http://shyam.org/)