BhG bhasya 2ndary sources

Whitney Cox wmcox at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jul 20 17:41:14 UTC 2004

Dear members of the list,

Could anyone recommend a good article-length study of the commentaries of
Sankara and Ramanuja on the Bhagavadgita?  I’m looking for a source that would
be appropriate to give to an class of advanced undergraduates, without
presuming any knowledge of Sanskrit, thus nothing philological as such, rather
a piece of intellectual history.  I expected to easily find an overview of the
interpretations of the great commentators, their differing strategies towards
the BhG, their understandings of key terms, their positions on maayaa and
theism, etc. but have thus far met with no success.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Whitney Cox