BhG bhasya 2ndary sources

Tamar Reich treich at UCALGARY.CA
Tue Jul 20 20:10:52 UTC 2004

Whitney,

Sharma, Arvind. 1986. The Hindu Gita: Ancient and Classical Interpretations
of the Bhagavadgita. Duckworth.

Does just what you are looking for. It has a chapter on Sankara and a
chapter on Ramanuja. However, this is a book, not an article.

Tamar Reich

----- Original Message -----
From: "Whitney Cox" <wmcox at UCHICAGO.EDU>
To: <INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 12:41 PM
Subject: BhG bhasya 2ndary sources

Dear members of the list,

Could anyone recommend a good article-length study of the commentaries of
Sankara and Ramanuja on the Bhagavadgita?  I'm looking for a source that
would
be appropriate to give to an class of advanced undergraduates, without
presuming any knowledge of Sanskrit, thus nothing philological as such,
rather
a piece of intellectual history.  I expected to easily find an overview of
the
interpretations of the great commentators, their differing strategies
towards
the BhG, their understandings of key terms, their positions on maayaa and
theism, etc. but have thus far met with no success.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Whitney Cox