18.180 advice on Sanskrit text? (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk d.wujastyk at UCL.AC.UK
Mon Aug 30 17:22:58 UTC 2004

This message appeared on HUMANIST today.  Anyone who feels like answering,
please reply to HUMANIST and/or the author, Tambovtsev.

DW

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:15:47 +0100
From:
     "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at kcl.a
     c.uk>)" <willard at LISTS.VILLAGE.VIRGINIA.EDU>
To: humanist at Princeton.EDU
Subject: 18.180 advice on Sanskrit text?

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist at princeton.edu

         Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 09:28:14 +0100
         From: "Yuri Tambovtsev" <yutamb at mail.cis.ru>
         Subject: Sanskrit "Shriimad bhaagavatam" in elekronic form

Dear Humanist colleagues, we'd like to add Sanskrit to our collection of
our data of 157 world languages. We'd like to compare our data on the
phonemic frequency of these 157 world languages to Sanskrit. We have
noticed that more often than not, it is easier to feed some text in the
computer rather than to find it elsewhere. This time we'd like to feed in
the computer the First Song of the Sanskrit "Shriimad bhaagavatam". The
long vowels will be shown as two vowels. What can you advise us? Will it be
easier to feed the Sanskrit text or will it be easier to find it in the
electronic form? Looking forward to hearing from you soon to
<mailto:yutamb at hotmail.com>yutamb at hotmail.com Yours sincerely Yuri Tambovtsev