Again Kunalavadana

Michael Hahn Hahn.M at T-ONLINE.DE
Thu Oct 16 12:38:10 UTC 2003

I am very grateful for the remarks of Roland Steiner and Harunage
Isaacson about my proposed emendations mara.nam aa"su for mara.na.m
maatu and k.rpa.nena instead of the second dhikk.rtena and the qualms I
had with sajjana-jana and svargasya dharmalopo.
        As for sajjana-jana I am now fully convinced that this is the
original wording and also the Tibetan translation needs no alteration;
cf.  Roland's explanation. After I had mailed my remarks it occurred to
me that the second jana could also be taken as a plural marker, as in
strii-jana. I had some difficulties in taking sajjana- as an adjective,
perhaps because I was spoiled by reading too many sajjana- and
durjana-paddhatis in the various Subhaa.sitasa.mgrahas. This prevented
me from checking the dictionaries. However, both Apte and Boehtlingk
define durjana- and sajjana- also as adjectives (Boehtlingk expressly
says of durjana that it is an adjective when followed by jana) and I
should have checked that before casting doubts on the compound.
        As for svargasya dharmalopo I still have my qualms, even after
Harunaga's remarks.  I myself considered a different interpretation of
the expression: " a loss of the entity (dharma) "heaven." This would
justify the genitive, and perhaps this is what Harunaga had in mind. And
similarly it was interpreted by John Strong, "The Legend of the King
Asoka,", p.  271:

"Mother," Kunala replied,

I would rather die,
abiding by the Dharma and remaining pure,
than lead a life open to reproach by good people.
Such a life would be condemned by the wise
and violate the Dharma which leads to heaven,
and bring about my death.

Maybe this is again the original text although the Tibetan translators
and Johannes Hertel (see below) felt a dvandva relationship between
svarga and dharma (and my interpretation would require a different
interpretation of dharma in the first and the second stanza which is
rather unlikely).

The stanzas were also translated into Chinese in the A-yu-wang-zhuan,
see Przyluski, "La légende de l'empereur Acoka," p. 283:

"J'aime mieux mourir en gardent la Loi dans sa pureté que vivre en proie
aux désirs charnels. Celui qui ruine la Voie des hommes et des deva est
blâmé par les sages."

Again this points to a dvandva interpretation!

In his "Critical Remarks on the Text of the Divyavadana" (WZKM XVI, 1902,