HTML version of Monier-Williams Lexicon Available

Artur Karp karp at MERCURY.CI.UW.EDU.PL
Sun Jan 26 12:35:31 UTC 2003

Dear Richard,

Great thanks to you and the rest of the team involved in this project.

I now have the MW on my hard disk. It works very fast with Examine32.

Examine32 is a fast and versatile text search utility for Microsoft Windows
95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP with the following features:

It can search both text and binary files. File formats supported are text
files with Windows, Macintosh or UNIX line endings, Microsoft Word files,
Rich Text Format (RTF), HTML (web pages), WordPerfect and Write files. All
other formats are treated as binary files.

Examine32 can also search for text in files stored in ZIP archives. Any
type of stored file can be searched with the file formats above being
supported.

And a lot of other useful features.

The program needed 20 secs to find all the occurences of the word
"obstacle" in MW (58 matches in 12 files).

Examine32 can be had from:

http://www.examine32.com

With highest regards,

Artur Karp

University of Warsaw

Poland

>On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 06:20:44AM +1300, Richard Mahoney wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 04:34:43PM +0100, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:
>
> > > Thank you for this nice initiative. I have tried to download your
> > > files, but I have a problem: when I try to save them on my harddisk
> > > (I have a Windows XP system), capital and small letters are treated
> > > in the same way, which means that I only get e.g. a.html (small a)
> > > but not the file named with a capital A. In this way, a few files
> > > disappear for me. Any suggestions?
> >
> > I apologise to other MS Windows users who have had this
> > problem. Windows file names -- unlike UNIX file names -- must be case
> > insensitive.
> >
> > I will alter the file names to something approximating the Velthuis
> > scheme: that is, `A' to `aa', `I' to `ii' and so on. When this is done
> > I will notify the list.
>
>Done.
>
>The links and filenames at:
>
>  http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/mw_dict/mw_dict.html
>
>and in the archive at:
>
>  http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney/mw_dict/mw_dict_all_current.tar.gz
>
>have been updated.
>
>I've tested the site and archive under MS W2K and everything seems in
>order. I don't have access to a Mac so can't comment on that count. If
>anyone has any other issues please mail me (off list?) and I'll make
>the necessary changes.
>

>Regards,
>
>  Richard Mahoney
>

>--
>Richard Mahoney    |  E-mail: rbm49 at ext.canterbury.ac.nz
>78 Jeffreys Road   |          r.mahoney at comnet.net.nz
>Fendalton          |  Telephone: 0064-3-351-5831
>CHRISTCHURCH 8005  |  Cellular: 0064-25-829-986
>NEW ZEALAND        |  http://homepages.comnet.co.nz/~r-mahoney
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---