Pancakanyaa

Jan E.M. Houben j_e_m_houben at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 11 21:24:18 UTC 2003

but what would that mean? one should not (na
metrically lengthened? or should one read vaa?)
regularly remember the capital-sin-destroying
quintet Ahalyaa etc. ?

To me, the following version makes more sense:
ahalyaa draupadii siitaa taaraa mandodarii tathaa
/
pa�cakanyaa.h smaren nityam
mahaapaatakanaazinii.h //

Curiously, Madhav Deshpande's version occurs in
V.S. Apte's Practical Sanskrit-English Dictionary
s.v. ahalyaa (with preface by V.S. Apte dated
December 1890, revised edition 1958), whereas the
above, to me more intelligible version occurs in
V.S. Apte's Student's Sanskrit-English
Dictionary, likewise s.v. ahalyaa (preface by
V.S. Apte dated February 1890).

J.H.