Sinological question (divination)

Martin Gansten Martin.Gansten at TEOL.LU.SE
Tue Feb 11 20:10:47 UTC 2003

This may seem an odd subject for an indological discussion list; but in
connection with my work on South Indian naa.dii divination, I have come
across a reference to a typologically similar form of Chinese divination
called t'ieh pan shen shu, and am looking for additional information.
Apparently the divinatory method is to identify (by means of the client's
birth data) certain numbered sentences in special divination books --
sentences of a rather specific nature, such as 'Your mother is 34 years
older than you', or 'Your father is an army officer'; etc.

Any information on this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated; and if
someone knows of a more appropriate forum for this question, please feel
free to forward it.

Thanks in advance,
Martin Gansten