Yamagita in Nepal

Allen W Thrasher athr at LOC.GOV
Thu Apr 18 17:27:33 UTC 2002

Thanks for the tips, Michael.  I will have a closer look to see if parts
look Sino-Tibetan rather than Indo-Aryan.  I suppose the phrase
YamarAjA... could be taken over bodily from Nepali in Bhote.

Allen

>>> witzel at FAS.HARVARD.EDU 04/18/02 09:48PM >>>
It is in (older) Nepali:   yamarAjA-le AgyA garyA  "Yamaraja gave the
order..."  etc. etc.
You could ask Ted Riccardi to take a look at it.

Manang, Tibetan (South Tibetan dialect, "Bhote") speaking and high up
in
the Himalayas,  is a bit unsual for such a text, but of course not
impossible: the Manangis  are great traders, all the way to SE Asia,
and
have a "firman" (Lal Mohar) for that since about the time the MS is
supposed to have been written.

MW.

>The ms begins: ZrIgaNezAya namaH// //ZrIyamAya namaH//
//duttagachanti
>bhUrloke. vaiSNavAnAM parittejet//vaiSNavAnAM anAcAri. Zighram ca
>KathitaM prabhU//1//yamarAjAle AgyAganyA. (ryA? tyA?) hedujaho.
>manuSyelokamAjAyeraheravicAragarajovaiSNadharmAtmAchantimanuSyekananalpAvaherdA
>paninahera//1
>(sic)//
Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138, USA

ph. 1- 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:  http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm