New interpretation of Yoga Suutra

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Wed Feb 7 00:10:41 UTC 2001

I would like Shri Bhadraiah to explain the notion of apazruti in reading
the rule as draSTuHsvarUpe?  With sandhi in the sense of unbroken
utterance, the rule must, in any case, read: tadAdraSTuHsvarUpe~vasthAnaM.
Splitting it one way or the other, as far as I can see, is a question of
interpretation, not of pronunciation.  Consider the debates over the
Bhagavad-giitaa line:  naasato vidyate bhaavo naabhaavo vidyate sata.h.
There are commentaries, such as that one Madhva, which read this line as:
naasata.h vidyate abhaava.h, naabhava.h vidyate asata.h.  Whether one
accepts this interpretation or not, the zruti "sounding" of the sandhied
line remains the same.  Best,
                                        Madhav Deshpande