Wanderlust of the IETribes !!

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Thu Apr 5 15:48:22 UTC 2001

A few questions for S. Subrahmanya:

Am Don, 05 Apr 2001 schrieb Subrahmanya S.:

> I don't know how many people have looked yet at Shrikant Talageri's long and
> devastating analysis of Michael Witzel's _Rigvedic: poets, chieftians andn
> politics. (http://www.voi.org/books/rig/ch9.htm)
> It shouldn't be overlooked.

It _should be_ overlooked, if only because Talageri's complaint that
Witzel has not read him is now, after Witzel's last review, evidently
pointless - if it were not already so before.

Perhaps you can show us, on the basis of Witzel's recent text, why we
should dismiss his criticism of Talageri? That would be far more
constructive than referring to rambling internet diatribes by persons
who hold up other persons of proven mendaciousness as authorities.

> Witzels's admits that his article is closely linked to earlier
> 19th century orientalists like Oldenberg

Perhaps because Oldenberg has done good work? Have you thought of that
possibility? Even if Oldenberg was a mleccha and not a modern
rightwing Hindu jingoist or sympathiser?

> For a sampler of euro-supremacist writing: [...]

Perhaps you can explain to us how this can be called 'euro-supremacist'?

I, for one, would not mind if you would take a lot of time to think
about these questions before answering, or before writing about the
topic again.

RZ