Mahabharata date. Was: Iron Age in India

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 25 15:23:58 UTC 2000

> Regarding modern methods of use to determine the date when it happened , I
> also intend to use the modern method .

 I remember browsing Prof. James Fitzgerald's paper about steel in MBh.,
 where the modern commentator Nilaka.n.ta's words were analyzed.
 The article talks of MBh. date: Starting from Maurya, Shunga period,
 the composing went on till *fourth* century AD.

 Regarding the pratima cast in iron mentioned in MBh., the sangam
 Tamil literature talks of a buffalo image cast in iron too. Of course,
 the cast iron and steel technology, technical vocabulary employed in
iron/steel
 technology all need to be studied in Classical Tamil texts. Easily
 they will fill up a monograph from an M.A.,/Ph.D. work and will throw
 light on early iron in India. After all, the Romans got their steel
 from South India.

 Regards,
 SM