Sanskrit and PIE

Arun Gupta suvidya at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Sep 6 20:27:56 UTC 2000

So, 95% to 96% of the vocabulary of Rigvedic Sanskrit is "not foreign".
"Not foreign" presumably means that the words conform to the general
patterns for RV Sanskrit words.

Of the not-foreign RV Sanskrit words, how many are Indo-European in origin ?
(i.e., have corresponding words in a sufficient number of other
Indo-European languages to be confident that these words were in
Proto-Indo-European, or were borrowed sufficiently early -- well before
Indo-Aryan entry into India -- from other languages during the theorized
Indo-European language dispersal) ?

Surely the answer is not anywhere close to 95% !(  If it is that high, what
reason is there not to believe in OIT ? )

Thank you,
-arun gupta

[snip, for brevity]