History of Mughalstan

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Sun Sep 3 11:08:07 UTC 2000

Samar Abbas wrote:

> - JANAPADA: The very word `Janapada' may be translated as `ethnic
> nation-state'; it proves the concept of European nation was general.

In his assertion that India like Europe is a conglomerate of nations
(and perhaps he also implies that it should be slit into 28to 36 sovereign
nations and then further following the European model should be made into
a the Indian (oops, South Asian) Continental Union, Samar Abbas has used
the above definition of Janapada.

May be some members on the list can help in providing references to JP
in ancient texts, Mahabharata onwards (or even earlier).
I do recall agents telling Rama about the 'pravaada' regarding Sita in Uttark,
or am I mistaken.

Then, are there any sociopolitical definitions of JP in Grihasutras and Smritis?
How do the Buddhist texts use the term ?

I know the Pancatantra reference, but that is very late and rather feudal.

Thanks in advance,

Bharat Gupt,  Associate Professor, Delhi University
PO Box 8518, Ashok Vihar, Delhi 110052  INDIA
tel 91-11-724 1490, fax 741-5658, email: bharatgupt at vsnl.com