History of Mughalstan

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at GMX.LI
Sat Sep 2 22:07:25 UTC 2000

Am Thu, 31 Aug 2000 schrieb nanda chandran:

>> You did not hear that from me.

> "Is it not a fact that there have been bloody wars all over South Asia
throughout all of its history, irrespective of what myth-makers have said
about 'spiritual' 'Vedic' tendencies etc.?"

Dear Nanda Chandran,

I have the following proposition. If you can show, with compelling logical
reasoning, that this quote from my previous message justifies your
complaint

<< Why is there this great effort to moralise everything? "Brahmins are
evil because they supported the caste system; Buddha was noble because he
opposed it". "Vedic civilization is evil because it encouraged wars; Buddhism is
noble because it opposed it". >>

(because this is why you quoted me, right? I.e. that I have written that
'Vedic civilisation' 'encourages war' etc.), and if you can also point out
the last time I wrote anything about Buddhism, and how this has anything at
all to do with what I was writing about -- then I will write again in this
thread. Is that a good deal? Otherwise, I think that I should not continue.

(Unless, of course, it may be worth the trouble in a very different way.
Sorry, but I still suffer from this odd idea that people who write to this
list are striving to exchange ideas that can stand rational scrutiny, *unless*
they try to brighten up our day with some sort of humour. I may have
misunderstood what you were doing. Please let us know whether you are joking and
want a bit of polemic just for fun.)

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institut fuer Indologie und Iranistik