Info on Bhattas

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 29 04:15:48 UTC 2000

Can someone give me information on Bhattas?

I understand that they're brahmins, but which part of the country are they
predominant in?

KumArilla Bhatta is considered to be a South Indian - was he from Kerala?
Also PrabhAkara - was he a bhatta too - and where was he from in South
India?

Surprisingly an elderly brahmin in my neighbourhood says that Bhatta or
Bhattars are not brahmins! Were there non-brahmin bhattars in Tamil Nadu?
Was Abhirama Bhattar who according to popular legend was saved from death by
Ambal, a brahmin?

Advance thanks for any helpful info.