Date of Jyotisa Vedanga

Koenraad Elst koenraad.elst at PANDORA.BE
Fri Mar 24 05:09:37 UTC 2000

Van: Mark Phillips <markphillipsuts at YAHOO.COM>
 24 maart 2000 5:38 wrote:

> The copies of the photos of the Tiroler iceman tattoos that I have do not
> show that they occupy the Chinese Jingluo (acupuncture) points. To the
> contrary, these tattoos run horizontally like shaivite lines,

That's even better for my purpose.  That would make it one more of the many
cultural items often claimed as "pre-Aryan Indian" but in fact attested also
in European IE cultures, e.g. the Pashupati seal of Mohenjo Daro returning
as the Cernunnos depiction on the Gundestrup cauldron, or Shiva's trident
returning in Poseidon's iconography and as a national symbol of Ukraine.

It is at any rate not me but the Discover editor who identified the tattooed
points as acu-points.

>This is a very interesting subject! Aryan and Dravidian sources explain
> marma and marmam from texts attributed to Sushruta and Agustya, but how do
> we place a date on the Dravidian marmam model. Can you please explain
this?

Unfortunately, no.  This line of research is only beginning, as far as I'm
concerned, though general studies comparing the Chinese and Indian systems
certainly must have been done by someone somewhere.

K. Elst