Query on a myth of "Siva killing a shark

Nobumi Iyanaga n-iyanag at PPP.BEKKOAME.NE.JP
Thu Mar 23 00:36:33 UTC 2000

Dear Ms. Filliozat and Mr. Palaniappan,

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful replies.

>The story is indeed part of the 64 "games" of ziva in Madurai described in
>the tiruviLaiyATal purANam versions. The details are essentially correct but
>left out are some interesting details regarding how ziva's sons murukan2 and
>piLLaiyAr (vinAyaka) get upset with ziva. So ziva curses murukan2 to be a
>deaf-mute child of a merchant who later judges which is the best commentary
>among the many ones on a grammar of tamil love poetry. For a discussion in
>English, see "Sacred Marriage of a Hindu Goddess", by William P. Harman,
>1992, pp. 120-122.

I found the legend in R. Dessigane, P.Z. Pattabiramin and J. Filliozat, La
Legende des Jeux de ,Civa `a Madurai, d'apr`es les textes et les peintures,
[Publication de l'Institut Fran,cais d'Indologie, No 19], Pondichery, 1960,
Fasc. I, Texte, p. 88-91.  That is the 57th story of the series.

By the way, the text says that MiiNaa.t.cii was not sleeping, but only was
embarrassed and indifferent at the teaching of Veda by her husband...

It is really a very interesting myth.

Thank you again!

Best regards,

Nobumi Iyanaga