Muktinath

Greg Jay gregjay at POI.NET
Fri Mar 17 16:20:32 UTC 2000

>Can anyone provide some references for Muktinath in Nepal? I have a student
>who is doing an Independent Study project and asked for such. Any
>suggestions?

Muktinath is one of the 108 Divya Deshas spoken of by the Sri Vaishnava
Alvars. I believe that it is mentioned in the verses of Nalayira Divya
Prabhandam attributed to Tirumangai Alvar. For more info on this please
contact Mani Varadrajan at mani at alum.calberkeley.org. There is also a
Sthala Purana of this place written on a column next to the Temple there. I
don't know the source of this. You may also find references in works
concerning Salagrama Sila (the ammonite deities of Visnu).

Greg