BiBTeX Packages for citing MSS

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Wed Mar 15 17:05:47 UTC 2000

You need to write your own bst file, I'm afraid.  Have you looked at
Bibdb, which might help, and is very customizable.  It's a
graphical-interface bibliography database which works with bibtex
files.  I can imagine you could write a format for MSS.  But you would
still need a bst for bibtex to process when reading the database.

Two more tools: natbib and custom-bib, both available from CTAN, are
indispensible, to my mind.  It's a long time since I used custom-bib,
but you might be able to do something for MSS, or use it in some
non-standard way to invent what you need.

The problem is that you need your .bst file to define headings for you
like "scribe" and "script" etc.  One thing I've done is have a basic bst
written using custom-bib, and then go in and add features I want by
analogy to what is there.  But bibtex's bst language is reverse-Polish
notation, and pretty nasty.  Okay for PostScript hackers, but not mere
mortals.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list.