Horse

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Wed Mar 15 22:52:35 UTC 2000

Georg von Simson wrote:

>    So what can be compared are pictorial representations of animals in
the
> IVC with the role of animals in the hymns of the Rgveda.

If the frequency or paucity of bones is not of value in the argument
than neither is the presence or absence of the horse in Harappan
artwork.

I should point out here that I do not believe that Harappa was Vedic.

However, there could be reasons that the horse was not depicted
artistically. Given the wide range of Harappan civilization, I doubt
that all varieties of fauna were depicted in their art. One possibility
is that representations of horses, if they existed, were -- for
religious reasons -- made solely of wood, in which case preservation
would be rare.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--