Representations of Hindu deities in North-West India

Mathieu Latapy latapy at BONNIE.LIAFA.JUSSIEU.FR
Sun Mar 12 15:58:06 UTC 2000

Dear Indologists,

I am a graduate student in Indian art history and Archaeology at the
Sorbonne-Paris IV, and I began a study about the representations of the Hindu
deities in the art of North-West India, from the first ones, dated from the
IIIth century B.C., up to the Xth century A.D.
The geographic scale of my research will be as large as possible,
including the regions of the present India, Gandhara (between Pakistan
and Afghanistan), and the Silk Roads.

The aim of this study is to show the role of this
cultural area, merging Greek, Iranian, Chinese and Indian influences,
in the development of Hinduism. My research will be based on historical,
numismatical, archaeological and philological datas.

I wish to develop this wide subject during my PhD, and I am looking for
financial supports for this study. I am greatly interested by any
information you could give to me.

Thanks in advance.

Magali Vacherot.