Toward a Science of Translating--Sanskrit texts--the basis for the meaning of meaning

Thu Mar 9 03:25:38 UTC 2000

> the basic question of
>'what is the meaning of the word/text?'
>
>... science and the
>practice of translating sanskrit, pali, and prakrit
>literature in the west.

I may draw your attention to the Volume we published a few years ago:

Translating, Translations, Translators From India to the West,
ed. by E. Garzilli (Harvard Oriental Series, Opera Minora, 1)
Cambridge 1996  (available from South Asia Books, Columbia, MO)

see:
http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/hos.htm

>For example, Derrida wrote: "Il n'y a pas d'hors texte
>('there is nothing outside a text')" how might this
>apply to the topic of interpretation/misinterpretation
>translation/mistranslation on the list.

what about your text above? is "science and the
practice of translating.."  inside or outside ? Or is it just politics? Or

Just kidding. But:
The last mono-causal or megalo-maniac interpretation of reality of the past
century. I am (not very eagerly) waiting for the first one of this new
century/millennium.

>I am also interested in essays and discussion on the
>mechanics of translating Sanskrit into English.

See above. Very hands-on volume, next to some theory.

Hope this helps!
=-=======
Michael Witzel
Department of Sanskrit & Indian Studies, Harvard University
2 Divinity Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138

ph. 617-496 2990 (also messages)
home page:     www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

Elect. Journ. of Vedic Studies:         www1.shore.net/~india/ejvs