Marathi learning material in english

Harry Spier harryspier at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 31 22:02:40 UTC 2000

Dear list members,

1) Is there any good Marathi learning material in english?
- A good reference grammar to modern spoken and written Marathi.
- A good dictionary.
- introductory colloquial "how to speak Marathi" material.
- audio or video cassettes.

2) Can someone tell me if the language spoken by the tribal peoples in the
Tansa valley (I think this is about 50 km. from Bombay) is different from
standard Marathi?  Would this information be available in Grierson's
Linguistic Survey of India (and if so has the language and dialect
distribution in Maharashtra changed substantially since the survey was
done)?

Many thanks,

Harry Spier
371 Brickman Rd.