Marathi learning material in english

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Mon Jul 31 23:10:53 UTC 2000

There is a set of 4 books by Maxine Berntsen and Jai Nimbkar for Marathi
published by the Department of South Asian Regional Studies at the
University of Pennsylvania.  They are a good tool to learn modern Marathi.
There is an older book Spoken Marathi by Franklin Southworth and Naresh
Kavadi, published by the University of Pennsylvania Press.  The various
regional and tribal dialects of Marathi have been studied separately and a
useful series of such studies was published by the Deccan College in Pune.
If you send a question addressed to Professor Ghatage at the Bhandarkar
Institute in Pune, you may perhaps get an exact answer.  Best,
                                                Madhav Deshpande