Just wondering...

Poopathi Manickam poopathi at AA.NET
Mon Jul 17 00:24:23 UTC 2000

Did anybody notice that the new dotcom billionaire netrepreneurs
(Da Old boys of IIT) never give money to endow an linguistic
Department, or a History Department?

Departments that may view them for what they really are.
They always give to the sciences (IIT's).
So humanities studies remain dependent only on public money for
financing.

The result is that much great scholarship that could have
been done isn't and teaching quality suffers as humanities departments
(Thamizh, Dravidian History and so forth) rely on very limited fund....

Off topic slightly but just a thought. :-)

Regards,

Poopathi S. Manickam

(Seattle, WA)

Mein Kampf fails to anticipate British opposition
to Germany's eastern expansion because Hitler thought
the policy was complementary to British colonial policy:
'no sacrifice would have been too great to win England's
willingness. We should have renounced colonies and sea-power,
and spared English industry our competition.'(p129)

Even where conflict with Britain seems inevitable,
Hitler clings to the solidarity of the Western powers
against the 'fantastic new invention', 'the league
of oppressed nations' (p601).

He insists 'that I, as a man of Germanic blood, would,
in spite of everything, rather see India under
English rule than any other' (p601).