Update

Mon Jul 17 00:13:23 UTC 2000

For those list-members who might still be interested in the
Jyotirmath Sankaracarya succession (discussion from more than
2 years ago):

My article on the dispute, available at the Indology website,
has now been updated, taking into account some information
otained recently from Dana Sawyer of Maine College of Art
(author of "Monastic Structure of Banarsi Dandi Sadhus" in
Living Banaras: Hindu Religion in Cultural Context, ed. Hertel,
Bradley R. and Cynthia Humes, Albany: State University of New
York Press, 1993). The updated page can be found at -

<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/position/shank-jyot.html>.

I have also taken the opportunity to use the Indic Times font
(Unicode UTF-8) developed by Chris Fynn (cfynn at DIRCON.CO.UK),
so viewers can read the material with a font using proper
diacritical marks. There is also a link to a plain text version
of the page, in case the character encoding is not rendered
properly by your favorite web-browser. This is available at -

<http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/position/shank-jyot-ascii.html>.

In this context, Christopher J. Fynn wrote, on Thu, 13 Jul 2000:

>....... (Unfortuately Netscape still has a number of
>problems displaying Unicode text for complex scripts).

This can be a problem with Internet Explorer also, if your
Internet Options are not set right. The following tips might
help -

For Netscape, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance ->
Fonts, and choose "Use Document specified fonts, including
Dynamic Fonts". If the font is still not rendered well, you
can force the browser to behave, by specifying the complex
font (Indic Times in this case) as the default variable width
font. This is a short term fix, as you will have to change your
preferences every time you encounter a page with a different
kind of font.

For IE, go to Tools -> Internet Options -> General ->
Accessibility, and turn off "Ignore font styles specified
on Web pages" under "Formatting". Also turn off the "Format
documents using my style sheet" feature found under "User
Style Sheet". With the font-face attribute being discouraged,
in the future, more web designers will be specifying a complex
font as part of style sheet specifications. Without the above
two steps, IE will also not render the font properly.

Best wishes,
Vidyasankar