ATMlite 4.1 Free Download

Christopher J. Fynn cfynn at DIRCON.CO.UK
Thu Jul 13 12:31:48 UTC 2000

Chandra

Since ATM light and ATM 4.1 support ISO 10646 / Unicode why don't you use that
*standard* encoding to map the glyphs in your font rather than the CSX scheme
which conforms to no ISO, W3C or Internet standard ?? This will enable you to
encode Pali in HTML & XML documents while remaining conformant to the HTML 4 &
XML standards (which specify ISO 10646 as the basic character set) and enable
people to use Unicode conformant search engines (e.g. AltaVista see:
http://doc.altavista.com/help/search/accents.shtml ) on documents using these
fonts.

Type 1 fonts can be turned into simple "Unicode fonts" simply by following
Adobe's Unicode glyph naming convention which outlined in their document
"Unicode & Glyph Names":
http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/typeforum/unicodegn.html - using names
like "uniXXXX" where XXXX represents the hexidecimal value of the character in
the Unicode / ISO 10646 standards.

Better yet, ATM light 4.1 supports basic OpenType fonts with Type 1 outlines
 *.otf fonts). With OTF fonts you can add a Unicode cmap table (and other
OpenType tables) to a font with Type 1 outlines. Tools enabling you to do this
are available from Adobe as the Open Type Font Developer's Kit which is freely
available by registering at: http://partners.adobe.com/asn/opentypefdk.html

AFAIK the Unicode & OpenType support in ATM & ATM light is currently
insufficient for properly handling the display of complex scripts like
Devanagari and Tibetan encoded as Unicode text, but there is certainly enough
support in ATM light 4.1 to display properly encoded fonts for Romanised Pali
or Sanskrit.

If you want to properly display Unicode text for Devanagari or Tamil script on
web pages you can create such pages under Windows 2000 with the necessary
language support installed using Microsoft Word 2000, Publisher 2000 or the
latest version of Front Page. Microsoft's OpenType fonts for Devanagari and
Tamil (Mangal & Latha) can be "embedded" in web pages using Microsoft's free
Web Emedding Font Tool (WEFT)
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft2/default.htm which
supports Unicode and OpenType. Such pages can be viewed on any system with
Internet Explorer 5.x installed. (Unfortuately Netscape still has a number of
problems displaying Unicode text for complex scripts).

Best Regards

- Chris

cfynn at dircon.co.uk