Problem with Norman fonts in Microsoft Word for the PC (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Jul 13 12:40:04 UTC 2000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:06:21 +0100 (BST)
From: John Smith <jds10 at cam.ac.uk>

Subject: Problem with Norman fonts in Microsoft Word for the PC

I have at last managed to come up with programs that allow Norman
users to migrate to CSX+. (Word has changed the way it handles
"Symbol-encoded" fonts such as Times Norman in a way that makes them
impossible to use.)

Recent releases of Microsoft Word for the PC (probably starting with
Word 97) have introduced a new approach to font handling that causes
severe problems with fonts following the Norman encoding. These
include the Times Norman fonts available from my server, the older
Normyn font (with its Italic variant MyTymes), and the font known as
LeedsBit PaliTranslit. In most cases the form assumed by the problem
is that line-breaks appear in undesirable places (e.g. in the middle
of words); alternatively users might find that certain key
characters have seemingly disappeared from the font.

Users who have encountered this problem, or who wish to avoid
encountering it in the future, should connect to this URL:

 ftp://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/pub/john/software/fonts/norman/problem

Here they will find an explanation of the problem, and software to
help them escape from it.

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html