Looking for studies on the Rbhu-s

George Thompson GthomGt at CS.COM
Sat Jan 22 02:04:50 UTC 2000

> From 1995 to 1998 I published a series of articles on Vedic ritual speech
genres, and in the midst of that work I gathered material and wrote up a
rough draft on the Rbhus, as 'vergoettlichte Handwerker.'  After reading
Georg von Simson's 'small' but *important* article on the Rbhus, I decided to
refrain from publishing my paper until I could consider more fully both
aspects of the Rbhus, as Jahreszeitengoetter on the one hand, and as
vergoettlichte Handwerker on the other.

Since then Joel Brereton has undertaken a thorough examination of the RV Rbhu
cycle.  A preliminary version of his conclusions was presented at last year's
annual conference of the American Oriental Society, but to my knowledge his
paper has not yet been published.  Certainly, his work will bring you up to
date on the Rbhus, when it appears.

Best wishes,

George Thompson