Looking for studies on the Rbhu-s

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Fri Jan 21 14:28:10 UTC 2000

Roberto Donatoni asks:

>Is there any good study on the Rbhu-s, giving a more exhaustive treatement
>than that contained in the various handbooks on Vedic mythology? I've gone
>through Dandekar, but found very little. Any suggestion?

Exhaustive, but rather outdated is A. W. Ryder: Die Rbhus im Rgveda,
Leipzig 1901.
Did you find my small article "Die Rbhus im Rgveda: Jahreszeitengoetter
oder vergoettlichte Handwerker?", ZDMG, Suppl. III,2 (1977), p. 955-963?
It is well-hidden in Dandekar's bibliography. I mention some of the
literature up to then. I remember that George Thompson some years ago was
interested in the Rbhus. Perhaps he can give you some hints about more
recent literature?

Best regards

Georg v. Simson