SV: Vital Statistics

Lakshmi Srinivas lsrinivas at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 7 20:17:56 UTC 2000

--- Lars Martin Fosse <lmfosse at ONLINE.NO> wrote:
> Punjabi has
> acquired tonal accents and lost aspirated stops
> instead.

If I'm not mistaken, Punjabi has only lost the voiced
aspirates each of which is pronounced like the
corresponding unvoiced unaspirated consonant with an
added tone.  The orthography records neither the loss
of the voiced aspirate nor the tone.

In ordinary conversation, the voiceless aspirates can
still be clearly heard. Some of the latter are still
ringing in my ears from my last trip to India :-)

Thanks and Warm Regards,

LS