Vital Statistics

Rajarshi Banerjee rajarshi.banerjee at SMGINC.COM
Fri Jan 7 19:59:11 UTC 2000

NG>Yes, we can think of many things; However, consideration can be
given to the roman script applied world-wide successfully already.

RB>How about a roman alpabet which goes like a, A, i, I.. instead of
haphhazard abcd..

NG>That is exactly what is done while transliterating Indian
languages.

In that case you are just talking about what would largely be a font change
from nagari to roman making use of 26*2 roman characters( including caps).
There would be some who would miss the cursive or pretty indian scripts.

The bigger problem would be that with the prepoderence of english in India,
the roman alphabet will be taught along with all the associated complex
spelling rules of english which gives speakers subconscious biases,
conditions them not to recognize phonemes and makes it difficult for many of
them to mimic or pronounce non english words unless they are close matches
or rhyming words in english. There is a danger of phonological aspect of
Indian grammars being brushed aside if roman alphabets are made the norm.

More about place value notation when I have time

sincerely , RB