Typographical error in the Bhagavad-Gita?

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Fri Jan 7 16:29:45 UTC 2000

The story referred to by Claude Setzer is not a story about Zankara and
one of his students, but an Upani.sadic story about Satyakaama Jaabaala
(found in the Chaandogya-U, 4.4.1-5).  While a liberal interpretation of
this passage is indeed offered by many modern scholars, the Dharmazaastra
commentaries interpret it differently:  "Since you spoke the truth, you
must be a son of a Brahmin", rather than "anyone who speaks the truth is a
Brahmin, irrespective of the caste".See Medhaatithi on Manu (10.5):
gautamas tu satyavacanaan nizcikaaya braahma.nena ayam jaatas tatas tam
upaninye "[the teacher) Gautama, on the basis of Satyakaama's words of
truth, determined that he was begotten by a Brahmin, and hence he accepted
him as a student".  For a discussion of related issues, M. Deshpande,
"Aryans, Non-Aryans, and Braahma.nas: Processes of Indigenization", The
Journal of Indo-European Studies, Vol. 21, Numbers 3-4, Fall-Winter 1993,
pp. 215-236.
                                Madhav Deshpande