Typographical error in the Bhagavad-Gita?

Claude Setzer cssetzer at MUM.EDU
Fri Jan 7 17:55:38 UTC 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Madhav Deshpande <>
To: <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2000 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Typographical error in the Bhagavad-Gita?

> The story referred to by Claude Setzer is not a story about Zankara and
> one of his students, but an Upani.sadic story about Satyakaama Jaabaala

Thanks, Madhav, for catching me on "sloppy" statements.

Sorry for not being more clear. When I said "he" I meant that Sankara was
depicted as supporting the view of the story, not that it was a story about
Sankara. My reference, which I should of stated was the documentary movie
about the life of Sankara.

Please also note my use of the word "must" in telling the truth. I did not
intend to imply that merely telling the truth indicated a Brahmin, but that
telling the truth, even in this particular very intense situation of trying
to convince the guru to accept him for study of the Veda. (He was
"compelled" to tell only the truth.)

Claude Setzer

PS. A couple years ago I recorded a pandit pronouncing a lot of the stuff
(several hours) from your excellent book. I never got around to editing all
of it and preparing it for use. But if you are interested, I might do that
sometime. One of the things we have developed is software that allows
traditional recitation of word forms at three different speeds. It runs
under windows 95/98.