SV: interesting experience

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 31 15:19:25 UTC 2000

  Christopher R. King
  One language, two scripts: the Hindi movement
  in the nineteenth century North India, 1994,
  Oxford University Press.

  Have you visited the Rajarajesvari temple in Rochester?

----------------------
 Friends;
 As an amatuer indologist (and now a laboring sanskrit student) i always pay
 close attention to all my encounters with Indian culture. This past weekend
 i was at my local convenience store where the clerk has become a good
 aquaintence over the past year.( he was born and raised in India) I was
 telling him of my travel plans for this fall and my intention of learning
 rudimentary hindi so that i could communicate better when in major cities in
 the north. His response was immediatly shocking to me. He told me at great
 length how though most people believe they are speaking hindi, they are
 actually speaking Urduu. This seems a bit of a rediculous claim considering
 that none of the hindi liturature i have seen displays an arabic alphabet.
 so my question is this: is there any value to this claim? Also, is this a
 reletively common claim?
 Namaskar
 Stephen J Brown University of Rochester.