Inara's revenge (was: Re: History of Mughalstan)

Heike Boedeker boedeker at NETCOLOGNE.DE
Thu Aug 31 09:08:11 UTC 2000

At Wed, 30 Aug 2000 21:55:53 +0200, Robert Zydenbos
<zydenbos at GMX.LI>replied to Nanda Chandran:

>This thread seems another one that could be on an unfortunate
>way to fruitlessness because of superficial and inaccurate
>comparisons.

I think it could be more interesting and fruitful in a sense of trying to
have a look at what motivates both history (in the sense of -- please note
the scare quotes -- 'political' events) and writing about it, rather than
merely insisting on historical adequacy being limited to a
desubjectivized/objective account, a bit akin to what Dominik Wujastyk
already has pointed out to be an anthropomorphic metaphor (condensation).

Of course, also a European sense of "a certain civilisational unity" in the
first place is group-phantasmatic, especially in those areas in which, as
you mentioned, it is based on othering (not limited to, but, of course,
including "common enemies"), e.g. if one reads Il-Khanid correspondences
with the Holy See and Philippe le Beau it pretty quickly becomes clear that
what Europeans consensually could validate *as* "real" has hardly any
Mongol correlate. Of course, realizing how little interested these were in
this area on the fringes of Eurasia would have hurt their narcissism still
worse. (Like also Alexander Nevskiy in the first place didn't violate
political-in-the-sense-of-realia interests, but ones political in the sense
of collective phantasmata.)

Of course, this still is metaphoric, because what characterizes Medieval
European cultural senses of communities hardly is Europe in the sense of a
geographical scenery. It also is interesting to observe how this metaphor
is internally incoherent in (accounting for) time, like Richter has pointed
out how "modern" patterns emerge in Europe somewhen between -60 and -40 K
while so many seem to rather stick to "Out of Africa II" myths. (maybe then
the Hittites with their love of going native were remarkably wise folks... ;-))

> > Yes, generally speaking this is the way to go. But when, as even the
> > Buddha and Manu advise, it is not good to speak even the truth if it
> > will lead to harm, what is the point in entertaining Samar's views

Harm to whom? <no hard feelings> In the sense of "upades´o mûrkhân.âm
prakopâya na s´ântaye 'sti"? ;-)

> > which has little truth in it and can only fuel more
> > secessionist/divisive tendencies?
>
>What is the alternative to searching for truth? Locking ourselves up
>in mathas, madrasas, seminaries etc., each with his own myth of
>'spirituality' ? This may not be everybody's cup of tea.

But maybe that of a few, though... who knows, and, still worse, what
importance does it bear for whom? To put it with Tiresias, when being
dragged to King Oedipus (quoted from memory): "It is terrible to know if it
doesn't serve the one who knows; I've been aware of this, but I must have
forgotten it, otherwise I wouldn't have come here" ;-)

All the best,

Heike