interesting experience

Naseem Hines nhines at ARTSCI.WUSTL.EDU
Thu Aug 31 14:40:39 UTC 2000

At conversational level, depending where you are geographically located,
Urdu and Hindi are almost the same languages. Only when literature is
concerned, Urdu has a great number of vocabulary words that come from the
Persian, Arabic, and Turkic languages and Hindi has a great number of
Sanskrit words. This is the simplest way, I think, to understand the point
of view of your friend.

There are a number of volumes written addressing this issue, taking into
consideration the historical, social, and political background concerning
the development of Urdu and Hindi as two separate languages.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Naseem Hines.