Lokananda

Swaminathan Madhuresan smadhuresan at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 25 18:45:15 UTC 2000

--- Roland Steiner <steiner at MAILER.UNI-MARBURG.DE> wrote:

> > does Lokananda or Ma.nicuu.daavadaana have any episode connected
> > with Malaya too?
> No. The Malaya mountains are mentioned only once in act 5,
> stanza 5:
> VIDYAADHARII: "O my husband, where he has gone ...".
> VIDYAADHARA (laughing):" ... is something _you_ should be
> able to tell me!
>         5. After having beheld the whole of the earth / like some
> painting viewed / from the vault of heaven / will he now journey
> / to a peak of the Malaya Mountains, / given a fresh appearance
> / by the splashing ocean waves, / or to one of the pleasant and
> wondrous / broad mountain terraces of Mt. Meru? / Will he
> journey to Mt. Paarijaata, / or to a peak of the Himavant / where
> the gracious and gleaming hosts / of the perfect dwell in
> happiness supreme?" (Transl. Hahn, pp. 105-6).

Thanks, Sir for your informative reply. A reference, a friend gave
me is: Ratna Hadurukande, Manicudavadana, being a translation and
edition, and Lokananda: a transliteration and synopsis. Luzac, 1967.

Pilgrimage to Malaya(Potiyil) is narrated in tamil epics,
Cilappatikaram and Manimekalai too. In the buddhist manimekalai,
the vidyaadhara couple, kAyacaNTikai and her lover go
to Potiyil. Interesting that Th. Watters and S. Beal's translation
of Hsuan Tsang's travelogue identifying Potalaka with the Malaya
mountains, and later Tibetan sources saying Candragomin
went to Potalaka to recover Sanskrit grammar. Also, Dr. Palaniappan's
article on the parvata in VP 2.486 and its relation to
potiyil, the center of Dakshinamurti cult.

The scanty pieces on Malaya in L. are intriguing, and did Harsha
in his Nagananda expand the incidents happening in Malaya
much further?

Kind regards,
SM