Two Buddhist Terms

L.S.Cousins L.S.Cousins at NESSIE.MCC.AC.UK
Wed Sep 22 07:28:48 UTC 1999

Richard Mahoney asks:

>I have been looking at one of E. Conze's essays on the
>PrajJApAramitaratnaguNasaMcayagAthA (Rgs) and have found a couple of terms
>I am unable to track down in M-W.  I assume they are in Edgerton's BHS but
>as I do not have a copy on hand I thought I would ask you for help.  The
>two terms I need defined are:
>
>aniketacArI (Rgs: I.6 & 10; II.3)
>
>anupAdadhI (Rgs: I.9, 10, 24 etc.)
>
>Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

aniketacAri

according to CPD this has the same meaning as 'aniketavaasi(n)' i.e.
'dwelling houseless'; it cites Pj II 573,26 and Nidd-a II 193,19.
They both explain it as equivalent to apalibodhacAri(n) and
nittaNhacAri(n). (Is that correctly transcribed in this system ?)

anupAdadhI

I do not have Rgs to hand and am not sure I can comment usefully on
that out of context - unless it is for anupAdat hi or for
anupAdaddhi. Anyway, presumably the negative prefix a(n) before some
form of upa+A+dA ? According to Edgerton this does occur before
finite verbs even in Sanskrit and it is, as he indicates, not very
unusual in Pali.

Lance Cousins

MANCHESTER, UK

CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS: