ADMIN: End of AIT debate

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 9 16:12:55 UTC 1999

  Dear Lars,

  Greetings. Now that AIT debates involving much polemics are
  banned by the Indology list Founder, I request you to reconsider
  your decision to unsubscribe.  Pl. employ the DELETE key when
  necessary as per Deshpande's suggestion.

  Once in a while, your pointing to IE data have always been helpful
  in dating IA in India.

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan

I have been petitioned by several INDOLOGY members to draw the current
heated AIT debate to a close.  This seems a reasonable thing to do,
since most people interested in debating this subject have now had a
chance to express their opinions fairly fully.  It is not my
impression that startling new evidence is about to be revealed, or
that minds are about to be changed by a few more postings.

INDOLOGY has had AIT debates before, so if you wish to think further
about the issue, you can consult the INDOLOGY archives (searchable by
keyword) for more materials.  There are apparently at least two major
forthcoming books on the topic that serious scholars will want to read
and digest before expressing themselves further on the subject.

Participants are free, of course, to continue the debate off-list.  It
would even be an idea for someone to start a formal list specifically
for this topic.

It seems to me that the AIT debate does not always bring out the best
in some of the participants.  The French academy once banned
discussions on the topic of The Origin of Language because the
arguments were getting out of hand.  We shall follow that precedent.

For the above reasons, I have decided that it is not necessary for the
INDOLOGY list to host any more discussions on this topic for the
forseeable future.  I will shortly emend the INDOLOGY web pages to
include this policy.  As of Friday, anybody who continues with this
topic will be liable to have their subscription to the INDOLOGY list
cancelled by me.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list