ADMIN: End of AIT debate

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Thu Sep 9 15:49:01 UTC 1999

I have been petitioned by several INDOLOGY members to draw the current
heated AIT debate to a close.  This seems a reasonable thing to do, since
most people interested in debating this subject have now had a chance to
express their opinions fairly fully.  It is not my impression that
startling new evidence is about to be revealed, or that minds are about to
be changed by a few more postings.

INDOLOGY has had AIT debates before, so if you wish to think further about
the issue, you can consult the INDOLOGY archives (searchable by keyword)
for more materials.  There are apparently at least two major forthcoming
books on the topic that serious scholars will want to read and digest
before expressing themselves further on the subject.

Participants are free, of course, to continue the debate off-list.  It
would even be an idea for someone to start a formal list specifically for
this topic.

It seems to me that the AIT debate does not always bring out the best in
some of the participants.  The French academy once banned discussions on
the topic of The Origin of Language because the arguments were getting out
of hand.  We shall follow that precedent.

For the above reasons, I have decided that it is not necessary for the
INDOLOGY list to host any more discussions on this topic for the
forseeable future.  I will shortly emend the INDOLOGY web pages to include
this policy.  As of Friday, anybody who continues with this topic will be
liable to have their subscription to the INDOLOGY list cancelled by me.

--
Dominik Wujastyk
Founder, INDOLOGY list