Total instruments of debate

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed Sep 8 21:26:15 UTC 1999

George Thompson wrote:

> In a message dated 9/8/99 4:45:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hart at POLBOX.COM
> writes:
>
> > Lastly, a question that may interest also other members of the List: what
> >  was the traditional Indian equivalent of this kind of ultimate debate
> >  weapon(s)?
> >
> Mantras
> GTSorry , George , that is not true even traditionally. Mantras are effective only if you
belief in them to "call upon" the gods and pusue "rituals". They are for believers only.
For indologists and academics of any place or country, there are no mantras, there are
only verses or poetical/metrical texts for historical study or any other agenda. The
age-old belief is clear, you can influence only a believer (fried or foe) beneficially
or adversely.

Even in  philosophical arguments with like Jainaas , Baudhaas, etc., who have not
accepted Vedas as prasthana, it is the philosophic premise that counts.
It is only the "modern scientific outlook" that equates itself with "truth" and refuses
to see itself as a methodological tool with limitations. Relativism, we all know, is
not that old in Europe.
Bharat Gupt