Q: intervocalic -k- preserved as intervocalic -g-

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 29 15:15:45 UTC 1999

>Even if they did spend some time in India, there's little
>chance that they got to interact extensively with orthodox brahmins
>(who for most part would've avoided them. Probably that's the reason
>Gough shows so much bias against brahmins).

There are several Brahmins who interacted extensively with Europeans.
The brahmin assistants of Colin Mackenzie around 1800 AD come to mind.
Both brahmin male/female brahmins with good Sanskrit heritage
have married Europeans. Eg., Rukmini Devi Arundale and in Asian studies
depts.

[...]

>Infact since coming over to the US, I've seen a lot of non-brahmin
>Tamils  who have started becoming fairer due to the colder climate.
>It's my firm  opinion that physical attributes are intimately linked
>with climatic  conditions, occupation, diet and other factors
>related to the environs.

Skin pigmentation of Indians does not change with such a rapidity.
Many African Americans, even though they have lived for centuries
in Canada and USA, remain black in color.

Regards,
N. Ganesan, PhD