karko.taka

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 27 14:46:44 UTC 1999

Dr. A. Karp wrote:
>Four times in a narrative context (Story of Nala - III, 63.4,9,13; III,
>70,27). Interestingly - in connection with Kali. Conscious word-play
>-kal/r-koTa(ka)~kali?

Perhaps. The drav. explanation of karkoTaka as "gem-giver" jives well
with nala (< dr. naLa('black')) myth. niSAda - a "robber" tribe who
are away from grAmas ('sitting at the door'). This nala('black') can
be compared with nALa/naLa/naDa-giri ('black mountain') elephant in
the Buddha legends. In tamil and telugu, nal-/naL- mean 'black'.
Nallamalai ('black mountain') range is where river KrishnaveNi
(< dr. kaNNapeNNA) flows. Many Sanskrit words with nal-/nAl- formed
from the dr.  naL-/nal-(black) like nAlika('buffalo') and
nArayana('black god'). narAyaNI(durgaa) is zyAmalaa. Perhaps,
nala('black') and karkoTaka ('gem-giver') are connected in the MBh.
from a dr. source, for 40% of karkoTaka occurence is in the
nala episode.

H. Luders has a 2nd century inscription from Nagarjunakonda
about a temple dedicated to nODagiriizvarasvAmin. Does this ins.
have a variant reading "nADagiri" (< dr. nALamalai, nallamalai range).
The 1-2 cent. brahmi letters do not differentiate nO and nA well
enough. Was nADagiri read as nODagiri by epigraphists who have
not thought of nADagiri=nALagiri? Can someone help me with what
Luders says?

Appreciatios for any comment from Indologists.

Regards,
N. Ganesan

A while ago, I got a reply thru' privete mail.