One more try re source of Buddhist story.

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at MATH.KU.DK
Thu Nov 11 21:10:53 UTC 1999

Dear Dr. Spier,

> The Buddha (or a sage) meets a snake that has been killing and terrorizing
> a village and tells it to stop biting people.  A year later the Buddha (or
> the sage) returns and sees the snake beaten and half dead and asks it what
> happened.  The snake replies that he stopped biting people and this is
> what happened to him.  The Buddha (or sage) replies that he didn't tell
> him to stop hissing at people.
>
> Does anyone know if this story is Buddhist or Hindu (or other) in origin
> and any other information about it.

I am not able to give any reference but I have heard this story
before (in a Hindu setting).  I believe the sage was Narada, and that
he advised the snake to hiss but not bite.  Hopefully someone has
the reference.

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen